Monday, February 16, 2009

Packing for Palau

It’s almost here. We leave for Palau on Wednesday. Of course, we don’t get there until Friday (it’s a long trip and we cross the International Date Line). It’s been a long time coming. We first started thinking/dreaming about Palau more than ten years ago when we learned about Jellyfish Lake. Just think–snorkel with jellyfish and don’t worry about stings. In 2002, we found our first magazine article with information and pictures and, in 2005, “Survivor” was sited in Palau’s Rock Islands. One of the rewards given to the winners of a challenge was a visit to Jellyfish Lake.
The big problem with Palau has always been its location. It’s out by itself in the North Pacific. You can’t just swing by on your way to somewhere else. You fly into Palau and then you fly back to where you started. For years, that looked like Hawaii to Guam to Palau. This trip we’re going Tokyo to Manila to Palau so we’ll stay over in the Philippines for a couple of weeks afterwards and check out a few more snorkeling spots.
But first we must get through the packing. I just love those magazine articles (and the Tilley catalogue) which suggest you can get all you need for an around-the-world trip into one little carry-on. Most times, we seem to travel with ‘the kitchen sink’. This year, I’m determined to travel light. Northwest and Continental both have generous baggage allowances but PAL has a 15 kg limit on their fights. So, I select my clothing carefully with an emphasis on mix-and-match and washability and I’m pleasantly surprised. I have a neat little pile laid out (emphasis on little). Maybe it will fit into one carry-on piece.
But, wait. I need to add my toiletries. And my shoes (how many pairs?). And my snorkel gear. Guess I will need a big bag. Have I forgotten anything? Oh, yeah, suntan lotions or I’ll be a lobster. Adaptors and such to accommodate the electrical system and plugs in Asia. My vitamins and pills (it was a lot simpler when I was younger). Some basic foodstuff just in case I don’t like the local cuisines. Tea bags, of course. And what would tea be without Carnation milk. A couple of books to read and some crossword puzzles to while away down time. Now, we’re into one checked bag and one carry-on. Two carry-ons, actually because I need to take my laptop if I’m going to keep blogging and posting pictures. Doreen’s having similar problems. Guess we’ll have to put excess baggage fees into our budget.
I bought a travel vest from Magellan’s last year and it’s many pockets will come in handy for all the left-over things–iPod, camera, Gorillapod, peppermint knobs, etc. Yes, sirree, I’m really traveling light this year.

No comments: