Wednesday, January 27, 2010

C is for Cuba, C is for cold

We’re not off to a good start here. Cuba is having the same kind of abnormally low temperatures as the southeast part of the US. The most common phrase we’ve heard from the locals (both resort workers and townspeople) is “mucho frio”. We didn’t bring enough warm clothes for an extended period of chilly weather. The sweater, jacket and long pants were only supposed to get me from the car to the plane.
We had an uneventful flight from Toronto to Varadero (slight delay re departure time) and a hour-long taxi ride to the resort. Couldn’t see much of the countryside in the dark. Check-in went quickly except that I had lost my visa card at the airport. (I’ll have to pay $16 Cuban for another card if I want to leave the country.)
Our oceanfront room was quite small, with only a narrow aisle between bed and desk to get from one side of the room to the other. Very awkward. Slept well in a very chilly room. Certainly didn’t need the a/c. After breakfast, we requested a room change. The new room is larger and quieter (mountain-view) but we had to settle for twin beds.
The food is adequate (we won’t starve) but I think we’ll be eating the same thing for the next two weeks. Good thing we’re not gourmands. My biggest gripe is that there’s no hot water available at dinner so I can have tea only at breakfast. Guess I won’t be using all my tea bags. Didn’t like the Nolitours rep’s comments about things disappearing if left on the beach while swimming or snorkeling or left hanging outside to dry. Heard several stories later of people losing things though we didn’t have any such problems ourselves.
Because the weather was so cool and windy, we spent the first few days hiking and walking the shoreline. Not much danger of sunburn so far. Interesting to turn on the television and watch the CTV news from Toronto (the same newscast we watch at home). The news from Haiti put a damper on things.

No comments: